Types Of Birth Control
Since the age of ancient Egypt, humans have been aware of the harmful effects of overpopulation and depleting resources. Ancient Egyptians have the earliest records of instructions on how to make a contraceptive pessary.
Other early forms of contraceptives are coitus interruptus and ingestion of herbs that are believed to be an abortifacient.
For many Indian families that cannot afford three square meals a day, birth control is essential to provide the next generation a better future.
Todays working woman has a lot more choice when it comes to birth control methods. Indian women today can freely choose any method they prefer to use.
These birth control methods involve either the intake of hormones that hinder the sperm from reaching the egg, using a physical barrier to prevent the transfer of sperms, or operating on the reproductive organs to block the path of the sperms.
Natural birth control is also available to people who do not believe that science should interfere in the natural ways of man.
Some types of birth control include behavioural methods, fertility awareness, coitus interruptus, avoiding vaginal intercourse and abstinence during fertile weeks.
There is also emergency contraception and permanent methods of birth control .
What Is The Best Birth Control Pill For Teens
Out of the two types of birth control pills , its more common for teens to take a combined birth control pill. The American Academy of Pediatrics says the mini-pill is not recommended as the first choice for teens. Combination birth control pills can be a good option for adolescents who can remember to take it every day.
Though the pill is easy to use, there are other methods of birth control that might be even more convenient for young women. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that the IUD and the arm implant should be the first-line choice for young women who are sexually active. These methods could serve teens best, because theyre busy, and unlike the pill, you dont have to remember to take it every day.
What Should I Do If I Forget A Dose
If you miss doses of your oral contraceptive, you may not be protected from pregnancy. You may need to use a backup method of birth control for 7 to 9 days or until the end of the cycle. Every brand of oral contraceptives comes with specific directions to follow if you miss one or more doses. Carefully read the directions in the manufacturer’s information for the patient that came with your oral contraceptive. If you have any questions, call your doctor or pharmacist. Continue to take your tablets as scheduled and use a backup method of birth control until your questions are answered.
Recommended Reading: How To Deal With High Cortisol Levels
When Should Emergency Contraception Be Used
Emergency contraception should be used after unprotected sex, or when another birth control method, like condoms, failed or if pills were used incorrectly. Its generally advised to take a morning after pill as soon as you can after sex. You can take a levonorgestrel up to five days after unprotected sex, however the longer you wait, the less effective it becomes.
Although levonorgestrel morning after pills are the most common in America, if youre over 155 pounds, you may be advised to try another option like ella . Ella is a prescription-only option however, and may make your hormonal birth control ineffective. In some cases, your doctor may insert a copper IUD, which is also considered an emergency contraceptive method. The Copper IUD can be then left in up to 10 years as an effective birth control method.
What Is Considered Low Dose Birth Control
Most pills prescribed today have around 30-35 micrograms of hormones. Any pill that has less than 30 micrograms is considered low dose. At Pandia Health, we do not recommend these pills for individuals under the age of 30, as they can have a negative impact on bone density.
The hormone estrogen helps during the process of gaining bone density by inhibiting bone resorption . According to a study published by the National Library of Medicine, young adult females who used birth control pills with estrogen levels below 30 micrograms had lower bone mass density around the spine. Similarly, a study conducted by the Group Health Research Institute found that women under 30 who took lower-dose birth control experienced smaller gains in bond density compared to those who took a dose above 30 micrograms. While its impossible to develop conclusions based on small-scale results, low dose birth control should still be prescribed with caution to ensure healthy bone density.
You May Like: Why Do Women Take Estrogen
Is It Ok To Not Get Your Period On Birth Control
Certain forms of contraception make a womans periods less frequent or very lightor eliminate them altogether. This is completely safe, says Amanda Lendler, MSN, CNM, a Yale certified nurse-midwife.
During a womans monthly menstruation cycle, her uterus creates a lining to prepare for pregnancy. Hormonal birth control may decrease the lining built up during a menstrual cycle, leaving little or no uterine lining to shed each month, Lendler explains. That means there is little or nothing to bleed each month, and theres no harm in that.
At the end of the day, Lendler and her colleagues urge women to talk to their provider about any questions they may have about contraception.
Birth control is not one-size-fits-all, Dr. Stanwood says. We focus on what each patient wants and share our expertise to help her find what is best for her.
What Drugs Interact With Birth Control And Nuvaring
Birth Control Pills
Estrogens can inhibit the metabolism of cyclosporine, resulting in increased cyclosporine blood levels. Such increased blood levels can result in kidney and/or liver damage. If this combination cannot be avoided, cyclosporine concentrations can be monitored, and the dose of cyclosporine can be adjusted to assure that its blood levels do not become elevated.
Estrogens appear to increase the risk of liver disease in patients receiving dantrolene through an unknown mechanism. Women over 35 years of age and those with a history of liver disease are especially at risk.
A number of medications, including some antibiotics and antiseizure medications, can decrease the blood levels of oral contraceptive hormones, but an actual decrease in the effectiveness of the oral contraceptive has not been convincingly proven. Nonetheless, because of this theoretical possibility, some physicians recommend backup contraceptive methods during antibiotic use. Examples of medications that increase the elimination of estrogens include
You May Like: Breakthrough Bleeding On Bioidentical Hormones
Recommended Reading: How To Lower High Cortisol Levels
Is The Birth Control Pill Safe
Birth control pills should not be used by women who have a history of:
- uncontrolled high blood pressure or heart disease
- liver tumors or liver disease
- increased blood clotting or stroke risk
- or if currently pregnant
Smoking increases the risk of serious heart side effects when using a combined estrogen and progestin birth control, including the ring or the patch. Combination estrogen and progestin birth control should NOT be used in women over 35 years of age who smoke due to an increased risk of rare but serious side effects, such as heart attack, blood clots, and stroke.
Women should talk to their healthcare professional about their individual risk profile before deciding which birth control method to use. Heart risks linked with the pill increase with:
- family history of heart disease
- number of cigarettes smoked per day.
Let your physician know if you have migraine headaches when discussing birth control options.
The birth control pill does not protect against any form of sexually transmitted disease , including HIV / AIDS. A male latex or female condom should be used in combination with any other form of birth control if protection against STDs is needed.
Types Of Combination Birth Control Pills
Combination birth control pills are categorized as monophasic, biphasic, or triphasic depending on whether the level of hormones stays the same during the first three weeks of the menstrual cycle or if it changes.
- Monophasic pills have the same amount of estrogen and progestin in each of the active pills in the pack.
- Biphasic pills change the level of estrogen and progestin one time during the active pills, with the level of progestin increasing in the second half of the cycle.
- Triphasic pills change the levels of hormones three times during the cycle, and both the estrogen and progestin level may change.
Read Also: Why Melatonin Doesn T Work For Me
Types Of Birth Control Without Estrogen
Not only are our birth control needs individual, but they also change throughout our fertile lifetimes. With this in mind, weve put together a list of seven birth control options without the hormone estrogen. Whether you cant or dont want to use estrogen, or are looking to go entirely hormone-free, read on to discover our list of 7 types of birth control without estrogen
Best Birth Control Pill For Weight Loss
The birth control pill Yasmin is the only birth control pill that has this effect. It is not marketed as a weight loss pill, and women can only expect to lose maybe a pound or two in excess water. As always, making smarter diet choices and exercising are the only ways to prevent weight gain or promote weight loss.
With period cravings, it can be easy to eat all the food in the world. Of course you can eat the chocolate, but it is all about balance. We have some great delicious snacks that can help you beat the period munchies. Pandia Health is all about helping you live your healthiest, most fulfilling lifesnacks included!
Recommended Reading: How To Maintain Hormonal Acne
Anything Else I Should Know
In addition to potential side effects and risks, there are a few other things to consider before deciding to use birth control pills:
- Frequency. Youll need to take the pill every day at the same time. If you miss one dose, youll need to use a backup form of birth control for the next seven days to prevent pregnancy. In addition, after a lapse in contraception, you may have spotting or light bleeding after the missed pills.
- Intimacy. The pill doesnt interfere with any sexual activities. You wont have to pause to take it during sex.
- Time line. The pill takes about seven days to start working. If youre sexually active during that time, youll need to use a backup form of contraception.
- Protection. While it helps to prevent pregnancy, birth control pills dont provide any protection against sexually transmitted infections. Youll need to use an additional form of birth control, such as condoms, to avoid sexually transmitted infections.
How Do You Choose The Best Method
The best method of birth control is one that protects you every time you have sex. And with many types of birth control, that depends on how well you use it. To find a method that will work for you every time, some things to think about include:
If you are using a method now that you are not happy with, talk to your doctor about other choices.
Don’t Miss: Vitamins To Reduce Cortisol Levels
Advantages Of The Combination Pill
With perfect use, the combined pill is 99% effective at preventing pregnancy. Perfect use means taking it at the exact same time every single day. However, the way most normal women take it reduces its efficacy down to about 92%.
Beyond preventing pregnancy, the combination pill also helps with:
- Managing hormonal acne – certain combination birth control pills can be used to manage acne. The hormones in the pill help counteract overproduction of androgens that cause acne.
- Regulating your period – most combination birth control pills have a 21 to 28 cycle length, meaning youâll start your period at a predictable, consistent time every month.
- Milder, less painful periods – because combined pills thin the uterine lining, there is less buildup to be shed each month, making your period lighter. The hormones also help reduce the prostaglandin chemicals that cause your uterus to contract, minimising pain and cramping.
- Reducing risk of ovarian cysts and cancer – a study in Denmark found that women who used combined hormonal contraceptives had a reduced risk of developing ovarian cancer. It has also been shown to reduce the risk of endometrial and bowel cancer.
- Managing PCOS symptoms – PCOS is a common condition that could cause irregular periods and hormonal acne. The combined pill can help manage these symptoms of PCOS.
Advantages Of The Mini Pill
Like the combined pill, the mini pill is extremely effective at preventing pregnancy when taken perfectly – 99% effective. However, the way most women take it reduces the effectiveness rate down to 92%.
Other advantages of the mini pill for birth control include:
- Fewer estrogen-related side effects – estrogen can contribute to some common side effects of the pill, such as headaches, nausea and fluid retention. If you are sensitive to estrogen, taking a progestogen-only pill could be a good option.
- Lower risk of cardiovascular side effects – while all birth control pills come with a slight risk of causing blood clots of stroke, the risk is lower with a progestogen-only pill than it is with a combined oral contraceptive. If you have a history of blood clots or migraine headaches with visual aura, itâs recommended that you take the progestogen-only contraceptive pill.
- Safer breastfeeding – the mini pill is often prescribed for women who have just given birth and are actively breastfeeding but want to be back on birth control. Because there is a lower dose of hormones in the mini pill compared to the combined pill, it typically doesnât affect your breast milk. Combined pills that contain estrogen also lower the milk supply and so are not recommended during breastfeeding.
You May Like: Can I Take 6mg Of Melatonin
What Are Birth Control Pills
Birth control pills are an oral pill that a woman can take every day to prevent pregnancy.
- Birth control pills stop the ovaries from releasing eggs and thickens the cervical mucus, which keeps sperm from fertilizing the egg.
- Birth control pills come in two forms: combination pills contain two hormones, progestin and estrogen, while the mini-pills contain only progestin.
- Generally, combination birth control pills are slightly more effective than progestin-only birth control pills. All birth control pills require a prescription from a healthcare provider.
Combination birth control pills are available in 21-day packs, with 21 active tablets, or 28-day packs with 21 active tablets, and 7 inactive tablets. Extended-cycle pills such as Seasonique contain 84 active tablets and 7 inactive tablets. The inactive pills are included to help the woman remember when she should start a new pack of pills.
The menstrual cycle occurs during the time period when the inactive pills are taken. If the inactive pills are missed, there is no chance this would result in a pregnancy. However, it is important to start the new pack and active pills on the correct day.
Who Can Use The Combined Pill
If there are no medical reasons why you cannot take the pill, and you do not smoke, you can take the pill until your menopause. However, the pill is not suitable for everyone. To find out whether the pill is right for you, talk to a GP, nurse or pharmacist.
The pill may not be right for you if you:
Dont Miss: Does Estrogen Cream Help Lichen Sclerosus
Don’t Miss: What Are The Best Testosterone Supplements
Comparison Of Hormone Levels In Birth Control Pills
Last updated on By Jing J.
If you have to take birth control pills, what would be the best ones to take? Check out the comparison of hormone levels and side effects of various birth control pills.
Recently some of you asked me about birth control pills: If you have to take birth control pills, what would be the best ones to take, i.e., which birth control pill has the least side effects?
First, I think this is a conversation you ought to have with your healthcare provider since he or she would have the most intimate knowledge regarding your health condition and could recommend the best option for you.
That being said, I think it would be helpful to compare the hormone levels in various birth control pills, so you can be educated and ask the right questions when you discuss your options with your doctor.
What Are Minipills
Minipills are available in one mixture thats progestin only, with no estrogen. Because of this, the minipill is great for people with certain medical conditions and people who are sensitive to estrogen.
The level of the hormone is the same in each pill, and each pill contains active ingredients. Unlike the combination pill, there are no inactive pills included. So, you may experience a period or you may skip a period while using this form of birth control pill. The progestin dose in a minipill is also lower than the progestin dose in any combination pill.
Minipills are also more than 99 percent effective when taken correctly.
Common minipill brand names include:
You May Like: Estrogen Blocker Supplement For Males
How Does It Work
Most birth control pills are combination pills containing a mix of the hormones estrogen and progesterone to prevent ovulation . Pregnancy cant happen if a female doesnt ovulate because there is no egg to be fertilized.
The Pill also works by thickening the mucus around the cervix, which makes it difficult for sperm to enter the uterus and reach any eggs that may have been released. The hormones in the Pill can also sometimes affect the lining of the uterus, making it difficult for an egg to attach to the wall of the uterus.
Read Also: Para Que Es Buena La Melatonina